Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I'm curious....

How many times have you asked someone in passing "How you doing?" and not even listened to their response? Or how many times has that happened to you? This is a very simple and practical example to show how really superficial we can be sometimes.

I'm curious how often someone has ever responded with "Not that great," or "Pretty bad," and we haven't heard them? Talk about self-centered. It pains me to say that I know that I have been that person that is too busy. We live in a broken and hurting world that needs to hear of the hope that we have, and we are too busy to hear how someone is doing?

Compare this attitude to that of Jesus, who sought out those people who were hurting and it reflects poorly on us sometimes. It is sad to say, that often times the people we should be reaching out to, the ones we should be searching out to tell the Good News to are the very ones we don't want to be around because they are bad people, not socially acceptable.

I'm curious how many people once thought of you as socially unacceptable, or as a trouble maker? How many people wrote you off, thinking there is no way he or she will ever come to his or her senses and see the light?

It offends me when I hear people who I know are saved, who ought to know better talk like this. I know too, that it offends God. So my challenge is this, watch to those around you. Befriend those "untouchables" you know. And when you ask "How are you doing?" Listen!

No comments: